Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mt. Vernon - Aka: Danna's Summer Cottage

I always teased my friend Danna Smith that Mt. Vernon was her "little summer cottage". So Danna this blog is for you. We visited Danna's summer cottage to show Julie where George Washington lived. This has always been one of my most favorite places to visit in the DC area. It is what would be considered a simple modest home in this day and age, however back then it was a grand estate that had visitors coming almost every night to visit. On the tour they mentioned that there were about 2 weeks total in George Washington's time of living at the estate that he did not have a visitor staying with his family at the estate. Can you Imagine!!! Martha must have loved her husband very much and was a very patient woman.
It was such a beautiful day that we went to the back of the house facing the Potomac and just relaxed on the grass. This was our view as we were relaxing. It is nice to finally live in a location that hanging around outside is desirable without the possibility of heatstroke. The boys really enjoyed themselves and Caedy had a ball crawling all over everyone while we were there. Parker kept taking my camera and took pictures of everything he saw. I have pictures of squirrels, outhouses, trees, etc. and some really neat pictures too. He took the top picture of Mt. Vernon, I think it turned out really good.

After we were done looking around the garden and the house we went towards the exit that is now a huge Smithsonian type of museum. Walking quickly through it it took almost 45 minutes. That was avoiding all of the movies and anamatronic things to see along the way. It is really nicely done up and I highly recommend coming out to visit us, I mean see it. :)


1 comment:

Jesmyluk said...

You know we have to bring Liam back to baltimore now every 3 to 4 years for a check up at the JHH At clinic. Now I know where we will stay! LOL Looks so beautiful and I am so jealous, I am surprised my eyes haven't turned pea green. Love you guys! Miss you guys!