
After the Grand Canyon we took Mike & Vicki to Meteor Crater. It was the first time Mike had been back since his college days. It was also the first time Vicki was able to see the Crater. We went on a guided 1/2 mile hike around the crater to get a better view of it. I was really proud to be there with Mike, Vicki, Tim & the boys and to be able to show them where their Papa Mike studied when he was younger. Parker was completely amazed by the crater. He told me that he wished he could live there forever! My favorite thing that happened while we were there was while we were on the hike. Our tour guide had stopped us and was explaining at the 1/2 way point what we were looking at, etc. I was only partially listening because I honestly was more interested in what I could learn from Mike than the tour guide. So I turned to Mike and asked him what the gates were at the bottom of the crater were for. As Mike started to explain it to me the tour guide interrupted us and asked, "Excuse me, why are you asking him and not me your question?", I responded timidly, "Because he knows more." The tour guide then challenged my comment, "Has he been down there?" At this point Mike replied, "Yes I have, I studied down there with Gene." The tour guide at this point had his jaw practically touching the floor and don't remember exactly what else was said between them but I do remember him saying, "You studied with Eugene Shoemaker? I have always hoped I would meet someone who has studied with Eugene Shoemaker." I had no idea who this Gene or Eugene Shoemaker was but this information impressed others on the tour as well. The boys lit up with interest once they saw the tour guide and others thought their Papa Mike was cool and I could see their attitude change as they finished the hike they didn't want to leave Papa's side.


No comments:
Post a Comment